Jesus Said What? | Rev. Dr. Christopher Kennedy
In this episode of The Concordia Publishing House Podcast, host Elizabeth Pittman is joined by Pastor Chris Kennedy. The duo discuss his new book, Jesus Said What? and some of our Savior’s words that many people may struggle to understand at first glance. Kennedy sits down to urge readers and listeners alike to look to Scripture to interpret Scripture.
Get a copy of his book on cph.org.
In his new book, Pastor Kennedy brings clarity to 15 of Jesus' most difficult teachings on topics such as money, relationships, and consequences for sin.
During this episode he dives into writing his third book with CPH and how this title differed from the last two. Pastor Kennedy goes over some of Jesus’ words that didn’t make it into the book, and the verses that people seemed to be most curious about. He also previews a few of the actual phrases from Jesus that he deciphers in the book and encourages listeners to continue their learning with the tools provided in Jesus Said What?.
– Tell listeners a little bit about how writing your third book differed from the first and the second.
– What are a few of the verses that might have come in just under the first tier that you didn't have room for in the book? What were some of those verses that people were really curious about?
– If we don't know those original languages in the Scripture, is that hurting us?
– When someone asks ‘What translation of the Bible should I be reading?’, what is your advice to them?
– What is Jesus’ overriding concern that you mention in the book and what steps does He take to try to help us understand?
– Why is it so important that we look to the fundamental rule of “Scripture interprets Scripture” when we're trying to understand these verses?
– Let’s at a few of the verses that you cover in the book:
o “Unforgivable sin”
o “Make friends by unrighteous wealth”
o “No forgiveness for the unforgiving”
– Tell us about the tools that you provide in the book and how they can help readers.
About the Guest
Pastor Christopher Kennedy is a writer, podcaster, and pastor. He is also author of Equipped: The Armor of God for Everyday Struggles and Grace under Pressure: Responding Faithfully to Stress. He serves a large congregation in San Antonio, Texas. He earned a bachelor’s degree in communication, a master’s degree in theology, and a doctorate in ministry. Chris and his wife are parents of four.