Ministry as a Military Chaplain | Rev. Travis Ferguson
Ministry happens in a multitude of locations, close to home and around the world. On this episode, Chaplain Travis Ferguson joins us to share his experience serving as an Air Force Chaplain in the Middle East.
Chaplain Ferguson is a Captain in the United States Air Force. Learn about the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod’s Ministry to the Armed Forces.
There are many places where our LCMS pastors minister to others. Maybe you’ve seen ministry happen in your own backyard or maybe you’ve experienced ministry across the globe. In this episode of the Concordia Publishing House Podcast, Elizabeth interviews Chaplain Travis Ferguson. He is serving in the United States Air Force as a Chaplain and currently is stationed in the Middle East. He will tell us about his experiences and how they’ve shaped him into becoming the pastor and the chaplain that he is.
- How does chaplaincy differ from regular ministry or regular Air Force life?
- What does it look like to be in a congregation with a military chaplain?
- What made Travis become a military chaplain?
- How was Concordia Nebraska important in the decision?
- How was Concordia Seminary – St. Louis formative?
- What was the process for becoming a military chaplain?
- How does chaplaincy differ from the role of parish pastor?-Why does loneliness play a role in how we experience faith and community?
- What experiences have shaped Travis while he is stationed in the Middle East?
- How do military chaplains protect first amendment rights?
- What is a baptism like in this context?
- How can we prayerfully and practically support our LCMS military chaplains, wives, and their families?
About the Guest:
Pastor Travis Ferguson has served Christ Lutheran Church Ministries since January of 2019. Previously he served as Associate Pastor at Grace Lutheran Church in Knoxville, TN. Pastor Travis has served as a police and fire chaplain for various agencies in Missouri and Tennessee, and has also been a Chaplain in the United States Air Force since 2014. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Behavioral Science from Concordia University-Seward, NE and a Master of Divinity from Concordia Seminary- St. Louis, MO.
About the Host:
Elizabeth Pittman is the manager of public relations and CGO at Concordia Publishing House. She received degrees from Valparaiso University and the University of Missouri School of Law. It should come as no surprise that Elizabeth is passionate about sharing the love of Jesus. Her life is very busy raising three active sons with her husband.