Pastoral Leadership | Rev. Dr. Jamison J. Hardy
Rev. Dr. Jamison Hardy joins Elizabeth Pittman in this episode of The Concordia Publishing House Podcast to discuss his new book, Pastoral Leadership: Shepherding and Caring for God’s People, which was officially released on June 20, 2023.
You can download a free sample of Pastoral Leadership by visiting books.cph.org/pastoral-leadership.
Pastoral care and pastoral leadership are not separate functions but are in fact one and the same thing.
In this episode, Dr. Hardy dives into how pastoral care and pastoral leadership are not in competition with each other but are actually intertwined and must work together in order for a pastor to be a present leader and active participant in his congregation. Dr. Hardy also speaks about pastors and time management, his favorite biblical leader, advice he offers to new pastors, staying motivated, and the financial responsibility of church leaders. Listen to the full episode now to hear from Dr. Hardy and to get an inside look at his new book, Pastoral Leadership: Shepherding and Caring for God’s People.
· What do you hope church workers take away from your book?
· Why should the laity read this book, and what do you want them to take away from it?
· In your introduction, you write that time management is a top struggle for many pastors. You write the proper order for prioritizing a pastor’s time is God, family, and church – in this order. Why in this order and why is time management so challenging for pastors in particular?
· You write about several leadership styles from several different biblical figures. What can we learn from these figures?
· What is the one piece of advice that you wish you had received when you first started as a pastor?
· What is the one piece of advice that you think most seasoned pastors need to hear?
· You write that motivation and purpose are key traits of effective pastoral leaders. Are there any other traits that effective pastoral leaders should have? What advice or encouragement do you have for pastors who are struggling to stay motivated?
· Why is it critical that pastors care about the finances of their congregation?
About the Guest
Rev. Dr. Jamison J. Hardy is president of the English District of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. He has a master of public administration in leadership and management, as well as a doctorate of business administration in leadership and finance. His pastoral leadership has been molded by numerous experiences, including service as an elected member of his local school board, assisting in the merger of two congregations, and serving on the board of directors as secretary for Lutheran Federal Credit Union.