Studying the Apostle’s Creed | Emily Belvery
Emily Belvery joins host Elizabeth Pittman on this episode of The Concordia Publishing House Podcast to talk about how we study the Apostle’s Creed and why it is important.
Emily’s upcoming book, Together We Believe: A Study of the Apostle’s Creed is set to release in December 2022. Visit cph.org to learn more (preview available for download soon).
Why is it important for Christians to understand what others believe?
Emily Belvery dives into her experience as a mission worker, and why she found it vital to learn the Apostle’s Creed in another language while serving the Church in this way. She also gives an inside look at her upcoming Bible study, Together We Believe, and explains it’s unique take on studying the Apostle’s Creed as a way to deepen our faith in Jesus and our understanding of the triune God. Through her new work, Emily hopes to better equip Christians to talk with each other about beliefs in different cultural settings and to widen our international perspective.
· What was your experience in Taiwan like?
· Why was it important to you that you learned the Creed in Mandarin?
· Tell us about your two aims in writing this study.
· What benefit is there in studying the Apostle’s Creed?
· What does Article 1 tell us about God?
· What does the use of “Father” show us about God’s love? How have you seen the father-figure stereotype differ between cultures?
· What did your students in Taiwan think about the concept of Christian prayer?
· In Article 2, we are told of reasons that Jesus came. What are these reasons?
About the Guest
After graduating from Concordia Nebraska Emily served as a mission partner in Asia with Mission of Christ Network (MCN) for six years. Since returning to the US in 2020, she is grateful for the opportunity to continue partnering in Gospel proclamation work and to stay a part of the MCN family.
Emily works to connect churches and individuals with needs in the mission field through recruitment, communications, and resource development. She and her husband, Jacob, live in Nebraska where he is an English teacher. They welcomed their first child, a daughter named Nora, in May 2021. In her free time, Emily enjoys reading and writing, biking, watching college basketball, drinking coffee, and having deep conversations.